Information Systems Assignment
Please choose one of the following essay topics. The essay should be 2,000 words (excluding references), should employ Harvard referencing and should maintain professional levels of style, spelling and punctuation. For all essay topics you must engage with relevant readings provided and discussed in the Information Systems module. You can use examples and case studies discussed in lectures and seminars.
Please note the following conditions that lead to automatic fail:
- Lack of systematic use of relevant readings provided and discussed in the Information Systems modules.
- Lack of use of references (both in the main text and in the end of the essay).
- Lack of use of academic resources (journals, conference proceedings, books or book chapters).
- After you discuss the main assumptions that underpin technological and social determinism apply the sociotechnical debate to the emergence of a technology (broadly defined to include technological devices, IS, IT etc.) of your choice.
- Discuss how and in what ways knowledge sharing is political and then use an example of an organisation that implemented a knowledge management system to illustrate the politics that emerged from its implementation.
- Analyse and discuss the impact new technologies have on how we work using examples. How do these effects differ from the impact of the assembly line on work?
- Discuss the emergence of e-government and analyse the challenges from the digitalization of the public sector/governmental organisations. Use examples to support your arguments.
- In what ways is the Internet a political technology? Make use of examples to substantiate your arguments.