TOPIC: EARLY CHILDHOOD: FOUNDATIONS OF LIFE
For the assessment in this module you have to choose one of the following topics:
- Design a new early childhood curriculum approach, strategy or framework which can operate at setting or national level and present a detailed reasoning for your design based in relevant literature and drawing on your practice knowledge.
- A nursery/school ready for children? Discuss the impact the current emphasis on school-readiness has for children, settings and society and develop a vision for a school/setting ready for children.
- Critically analyse the early childhood curriculum approaches in two countries including a consideration of the long-term outcomes for children. Building on a synthesis of your arguments present potential improvements for the curriculum approach in one of the countries.
There are 2 parts to the assignment for this module: a formative or preparation stage and the summative assignment which will be assessed.
Part 1: Formative assignment
Depending on your choice of topic, present a mindmap or plan which highlights your key arguments, literature and a sketch of your curriculum framework, vision for a setting ready for children or an improvement to a national curriculum approach.
These will be discussed and you will receive feedback on your draft on 19thNovember 2019.
Part 2: Summative assignment (100%)
The word count for this assignment is 4,500 words (plus/minus 10%).
A good assignment will:
- be based on your knowledge of early childhood development and its impact on later life
- draw on your inquiry and reading during this module,
- include a clear rationale for your arguments grounded in theory (including the long-term impact on children)
- discuss practice issues in relation to your curriculum approach, vision or suggestion for improvement