Unit code: J/504/3077
QCF level: 4
Credit value: 5
Guided learning hours: 24
· The aim of this unit is to help learners to understand their own employer. It asks learners to look at all, gain knowledge and understanding of how their organisation works, and how they can operate to best effect within it.
Competency unit assessment guidance
· This unit should be assessed predominantly in the workplace. Please see Annexe E. Observation, witness testimony, questioning, professional discussion, written and product evidence are all sources of evidence which can be used.
· Information is essential to the process of communication. To construct a cogent, coherent message on behalf of their employer, learners will need to ensure that they have a thorough understanding of their business and the industry in which it operates.
· Learners will need to examine the organisational procedures within their own employer business and understand how they shape their own day-to-day working practices. Learners should appreciate the extent to which the procedures, working practices and culture of their employer can facilitate and constrain their activities and the extent to which this can either limit or support the achievement of objectives.
· Learners will examine the need to understand their employer’s offering to the customer, reflecting on the features and benefits of products and how they relate to the needs of customers.
· Finally, learners will explore their own role within their employer’s business. Learners will consider how their role is defined, reflecting on the duties and responsibilities of their job and how they contribute to the aims and objectives of their employer.
· Learners should investigate the opportunities available to seek the help, advice and support of other professionals within their field. They can identify areas where they can benefit from expert advice and factors which they should take into account before seeking advice or support.
· Learners will generate evidence of the different ways that they maintain appropriate records and analyse data in their workplace. They will document the steps that they take to work within legal requirements and guidance laid down in professional codes of conduct.
Learning outcomes and assessment criteria
In order to pass this unit, the evidence that the learner presents for assessment needs to demonstrate that they can meet all the learning outcomes for the unit. The assessment criteria determine the standard required to achieve the unit.
On completion of this unit a learner should: