Unit 26: Leadership and People Management in the Design and Creative Industries
Unit code: J/501/8390
QCF level: 4
Credit value: 6
Guided learning hours: 40
The aim of this unit is to enable learners to consider the qualities of a good leader, taking a critical view of the relative importance of different attributes in the context of the creative industries. Learners will explore the different approaches to building cohesion and effectiveness within a team.
Competency unit assessment guidance
This unit should be assessed predominantly in the workplace. Please see Annexe E. Observation, witness testimony, questioning, professional discussion, written and product evidence are all sources of evidence which can be used.
‘Having an idea in the first place is just the start; bringing that idea to life in a way that inspires others to help it grow can mean the difference between an abandoned sketch on a notepad and a successful finished product in a customer`s hands.’ – Lucy Blakemore, Gravity Planning and Research, UK
The role of a leader is vital in any industry, but the leadership of teams of creative people poses unique challenges.
The leader must be able to combine the ability to enthuse and inspire. They must strike a careful balance between encouraging innovative ideas and reining in the outlandish and inappropriate without damaging the motivation of team members who may have a personal connection to their ideas.
Learners will reflect on their skills with a focus on personal development underpinned by critical introspection. They will consider the debate as to whether leaders are born or made.
Learners will look at the composition of teams through an exploration of theoretical models which can be used to examine the efficacy of a team-based on the distribution of key attributes amongst team members. They will explore different approaches to identifying of the skills of team members and use this insight as the basis of role allocation within a team.
Having considered the composition and formation of a team, learners will explore the concept of group dynamics and reflect on the extent to which this supports efforts to build trust and respect amongst team members.
Creative thinking has an inherent risk of failure and as such learners will consider how this can be encouraged in a ‘safe’ environment where individuals feel that their contributions are valued and valuable. As a corollary to this learners will consider how the performance of team members can be reviewed in order to embed and encourage creative thinking.
Learning outcomes and assessment criteria
In order to pass this unit, the evidence that the learner presents for assessment needs to demonstrate that they can meet all the learning outcomes for the unit. The assessment criteria determine the standard required to achieve the unit.
On completion of this unit a learner should:
1 Understandwhat it is thatmakes a effective team leaderand/or manager
1.1 Analyse skills and attributesthat make an effective teamleader
1.2 Evaluatetheir own leadershipskills and attributes, identifyingareas for personal developmentifthey want to be agood teamleader
2 Understandhow to select a teamfor a specific purpose
2.1 Analyse methodswhich can beimplementedin order to
● identifythe mix of expertise,knowledge,skills and attitudesrequired to achieve the teampurpose
● identify team members’expertise,knowledge,skills andattitudes and agree theirparticular roles within the team
● use team selectionanddevelopment processes todevelop any expertise,knowledge,skills and attitudeslacking in the team
3 Understandhow to manage andmotivate a team
3.1 Analyse methodswhich can beimplementedin order to
● enable team building andhow tobuild mutual trust and respect.
● encourageopen communicationbetween team members toshare problems with each otherto produce creative solutions
● review the performance of theteam at appropriatepoints andevaluate how well its purpose isbeing achieved
● celebrate the team andindividualsuccesses together and themethods for empowerment ofindividualsto develop their ownways of working and take theirown decisions within agreedboundaries
● steer yourteam successfullythrough difficulties andchallenges