Title of unit/s Improving Organisational Performance
- Understand the concept of high-performance working (HPW) and its contribution to creating and sustaining a high-performance work organisation (HPWO).
- Understand the contribution of performance management to high levels of performance and the role of line managers in the process.
- Know how to create and sustain a community of practice to build a high-performance culture.
Your HR Director is to present a report to the executive team that puts forward a positive business case for introducing high performance working practices into the organisation. She has asked you to provide her with an evidence-based written brief.
You will need to make reference to academic research and literature in your brief. In the first section you should briefly address the concepts of HPW and HPWO and provide:
- A brief analysis of the concept and components of HPW. (AC 1.1)
- A brief evaluation of the link between HPW and sustained organization performance, employee well-being and competitive advantage. (AC 1.2)
- An identification of some of the main barriers to HPW. (AC 1.3)
In the next section of your brief you should address performance management. You should:
- Summarise the main stages of the performance management cycle and the role of development and performance reviews. (AC 2.1)
- Give some examples of different ways of involving line managers in the performance review process. (AC 2.2)
- Provide a brief evaluation of the contribution of the performance management process to promoting challenges, capability or recognizing and rewarding talent. (AC 2.3)
In the final section of your report you should give a summary of how to create and sustain a culture of HPW and:
- Recommend some of the ways of building trust, enthusiasm and commitment in support of a high-performance culture. (AC 3.1)