Module Code: LU/LG3115
Module Name: International Human Rights Law
Assignment Type: Summative Final Assessment
Answer 1 question only
You are strongly advised to read the information in the Undergraduate Students’ Handbook for information on plagiarism.
1. “The memorandum of understanding on illegal immigration and reinforcement of border security signed in 2017 by Italy and Libya aims at reducing migratory flows while showing very little concern with the human rights of those seeking to reach Italy from Libya.” Do you agree with this statement? Discuss with special reference to international refugee law.
2. To what extent does “free, prior, and informed consent” allow an indigenous person to control their ancestral lands? Discuss with special reference to development projects affecting indigenous peoples’ lands.
3. Does the death penalty violate the right to life? Discuss with reference to international and regional human rights standards.
4. Are economic, social and cultural rights fundamentally different from civil and political rights? Discuss.
5. “The Human Rights Council should not be a place where human rights violators seek shelter. Issues related to its membership must be taken seriously in order for this body to operate effectively.” Do you agree with this statement? Discuss.