Module code and title: MR402 MUC1 Methods and Methodologies
This essay addresses one or more of the following learning outcomes.
Researchers who have successfully completed this module will:
1. Be able to contextualise the choice, design and implementation of methods relative to research philosophies and methodologies
2. Have a critical appreciation of the strengths and weaknesses of a range of research methods in specific research projects
3. Be able to select and use appropriate research methods to meet specified research objectives
4. Be able to reflect critically on the role and power of the researcher in managing research projects in a range of multi-disciplinary contexts.
5. Be able to examine critically their own and other researchers` use of research methods.
Choose ONE of the following options
1) Write an essay that contextualises the choice, possible design and implementation of one or more research method/s (featured in MR402) in relation to your research. In all cases you should draw on relevant reading and reflect critically on your own role as a researcher.
2) In consultation with your supervisors, choose up to two published journal articles that engage with methods and methodology in your area of study. Carry out a critical appraisal that identifies both positive and negative aspects of the approach used in the paper/s and discusses issues of objectivity in relation to the broader aims of the paper.
3) In an essay, select a method which you envisage you are going to use to construct an artistic or engineering artefact and portray its possible advantages and pitfalls for your research process.